Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Thankful Thursday

So it is offically Thursday.... even if it is 12:01 AM. I need to be in bed, but I am up monogramming. Here is this weeks installment of THANKFUL THURSDAY!

1) Diet Dr. Pepper.

This is more of an obession, but this week I have been super thankful for this beverage. Last week it was not on sale so I bought Diet Coke instead. It is just not as good. I miss old Faithful. Well my mom being the good mom she is bought me some Diet Dr. P to drink while we were up at the hospital with my dad. What treat. I cannot wait until we drink all that Diet Coke... until then!!!

2) The Bible

No I have a degree in Christian Education and I know how dumb this sounds... but truly I am so thankful for this book. It's relevance in our world today (5 more days till election day) can continue to keep us closer to our Maker... I love that he knows it all...even when I don't! Praise Him

3) Selah

I have mentioned this earlier this week but I am in love with this CD. IF you dont know this about me you know I am a sucker for hymns. You start talking hymns and I will walk write with you to the throne of Jesus. Well there are a lot of hymns on this CD that really speak to my life right now. (I am afraid that come Nov.1 this CD will take the back burner to my Christmas Music....Hello Mariah)

4) Starbucks..

not just the place but in particular their Carmel Apple Cider... enough said! It is just amazing!

5) Apple Butter...

So i have canned so many jars of apple butter this week it is just too unbelievable. Not only did I do it, but Eric got into it to... the way it makes your house smell will just warm your heart. I suggest that EVERYONE give it it a try... and you also feel like a good homemaker:) OR at least I did! Here is the recipe if you want to give it a try:)

Crock Pot Apple Butter {yields 5 pints}

16 peeled, cored & chopped apples {I used several varieties}
1 1/2 C white sugar
1 C light brown sugar
2 T cinnamon
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t kosher salt
Place all ingredients in crock pot and stir so all apples are coated. Cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Reduce to LOW for 8 to 10 hours; stir occasionally.

Once the apples are a rich brown color and mash easily you can do one of two things. If you like your apple butter thick you can scoop the apple mixture into a mesh colander to drain off excess liquid before blending. If you like it thinner leave liquid in the mixture. If I had a hand-held blender I would have used it in the crock pot to blend the apples to a lovely "apple butter consistency". However, I don't have a hand-held blender.... so, I scooped several cups at a time into my blender and "pulsed" it a few times until I reached my desired consistency.

Now, if you'd like to can it {which I recommend} it's easy, you'll see:
1) wash and dry jars and lids
2) while you're filling your jars with your warm apple butter you should have your water bath heating up {I used this, purchased at any fine Walmart}
3) once the jars are filled, wipe the rims with a damp cloth and screw on the lid {but don't over tighten}
4) place jars in the water canning rack, lower into the canner, make sure they are covered with water by at least 1" & turn up heat
5) once you reach a boil, boil for 15 minutes
6) carefully remove jars from the canner and sit on a dry towel
7) sit and listen carefully.. "tink, tink, tink, tink...!" the jars will seal as they cool on the towel!
8) once the jars are completely cooled you can wipe the jars of any residue and store away

No comments: