Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Not the Girl Devotion Week Three


Life, relationships, and even marriage are all about choices. Just stop and think how many choices you have already made today. Maybe not even thinking you made a choice to keep reading this blog… (thanks)!


As many of you know Eric and I have been looking at houses, this has consumed a lot of our time on the internet and everything we like is a choice. Choices started VERY early in our relationship, from who would moved, to what we registered for, and so on and so on. 5 year later in this marriage we are still making choices… here is a little know fact. We hardly EVER choose the same thing without a discussion. We could not be more opposite, that has what made the marriage so fun and at times so difficult. I started thinking about all the choices I make every day. From the time I wake up till the time I “CHOOSE” to go to bed, my life is full of choices. In this season of life I feel like I make more choices than ever because I am making them for John Hunter as well.


Remember Job, he made a choice. Life as Job knew it was nothing like he had planned, but he clung to God in the midst of everything. In Job 2:11-13 we see that Job’s friends come to visit him. This was not a short trip with a Starbucks and a Get Well Card. These three friends stayed and sat in silence with Job for SEVEN DAYS. They didn’t speak “because they saw how great his suffering was” (vs. 13). Can you imagine???? Those are some dedicated friends who made a major choice to stick with their friend. You can keep reading in Job 3- 37 at the dialogue between Job and his friends.


Job’s choices not only affect him, they affected everyone around him. His friends who sat in silence, his wife whom he put in her place and his relationship with God (we will get to that next week Job 38). Your choices affect others too. Do you realize that? In the past week I have been waking up before Eric. Not getting up, but just laying in bed enjoying the sun peeking through the blinds. It has been such a peaceful time for me and I have found myself just praying over Eric and his work along with JH and his sweet little life. Those precious moments have allowed my day to start out better. I find I am more patient, forgiving, and peaceful. It’s a choice.


Turn you in your Bibles to Joshua 24:15, “But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." Today you can choose who you will serve. As I said before life is full of choices. From the food we eat to the clothes we wear. Then all of the sudden a sad reality hit me right between the eyes. On any given day I tend to take longer to choose what JH will wear, what we will have for dinner, or what our day holds, than to choose who I will serve. Sure I love Jesus with all my heart, but DAILY I want too/have chosen to serve Him.


On the days when I choose HIM, the day seems more peaceful, more manageable, and more glorifying to the God who ordained it. Just because I choose to serve Him doesn’t mean my day is easy (remember Job), the bills still need to be paid, accidents still happen while potty training, my feelings still get hurt, and life still happens. But when I boldly choose and proclaim “THIS IS THE DAY THE LORD HAS MADE, LET US REJOICE AND BE GLAD IN IT”, Satan and his demons have no hold on me. I am my Beloveds and He is mine. Praise the LORD. So today, who or what will you chose? Your choice in this very moment could affect your family, your friends, and your life. In the words of Joshua, “as for me and my house we will serve the LORD!”


Prayer: Father today in everything we do, let us choose you. Let your glory fall on our lives, let your peace surpass all our understanding, and guard our hearts against the evil one and his nasty schemes. Let us be that woman that when I wake up in the morning, Satan says "She's up... crap!” Let our choices be those that serve your Kingdom, whether they be large decisions or the simple ones that only affect our families. Give us your strength Oh God. Guide our steps and guard our hearts. In your precious and Holy name we pray, AMEN!

1 comment:

Mama Smors said...

So good :) Thanks for sharing! I have to choose God every morning in a prayer for patience and joy.

ps~ loved walking down memory lane w you and eric!